Breaking News- Zjabs boss listens to him!
by Zjabs

# 1. 3/12/17 9:53 AM by 104
I concur wholeheartedly. Iberdola is a RIPOFF! My NEXT column is about the big utility TAX DODGE! A rich person's UTOPIA!!!

RGE/IBERDOLA = RIPOFF!

# 2. 3/12/17 10:39 AM by Nick
Yesterday when I saw Cuomo on the local news criticizing RG&E, I thought to myself that you would write pretty much exactly what you just wrote.

Editor's Note: Obviously I'm a pretty powerful person- about a year away from being able to use the "do you know who I am" card. Perhaps it would behoove you to be nice to me?

8991937
# 3. 3/12/17 12:38 PM by Nick
Hey, this has been me being nice. And by the way, who uses "behoove" anymore?

Editor's Note: Um, me?

# 4. 3/12/17 12:38 PM by Rick
I encourage you to read the postscript in my essay posting tomorrow.

Anyway, regarding preparedness. How does one prepare for this? No, really? Should there be hundreds of trucks and men on call 24/7? Let's get them out there, idling in the streets, just in case.

Should these men, regardless of weather, safety and lack of sleep, just head out and not prioritize? Case in point: Unity Hospital on Long Pond lost power. That comes first. Some guy in Greece who is heating his house with a gas fireplace is not a priority. Of course, he needs to get his power back, but unlike our governor, I'm not under the impression that these utility guys are just hanging around coffee shops, not trying to get things fixed. It's not as easy as just putting the plug back in the socket. Anyone who knows anything about infrastructure will tell you that.

I'd invite anyone who is complaining to suit up and get up on a ladder that's leaning on a phone pole when it's dark, windy and 18º and see how much fun that is. I'd also invite anyone who is complaining about a lack of preparedness to go out and buy themselves a generator and be proactive about a potential emergency, but hey, it's easy to moan about being prepared when cost and responsibility falls in somebody else's lap.

Sure, it's inconvenient, but Cuomo should shut his pie hole about something he knows nothing about. People without power certainly have options. Family, friends, motels, hotels, the JCC, you name it. I swear, people think that companies have some sort of control over natural disasters.

Hey, at least Schumer came by with some positive news.

Editor's Note: I don't think you and I are on the same page regarding the entire issue at all. First why should I go out and buy a generator? I PAY RGE to provide me with power 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (or at least they CHARGE me fixed costs for doing so). If THEY want to buy me a generator, that's fine but I should not have to buy one as doing so means I expect them to fail- and I'm not paying them to fail. Second, when I talk about preparedness, I'm not talking having guys on call 24/7- I'm talking that on June 1 (to use an arbitrary date), you INSPECT the infrastructure- hey, here are poles that are weak, here are wires that are too close to trees and the like- let's FIX the problems BEFORE they become issues. Obviously if a pole goes down in 200 MPH winds, no one will fault them but 80 MPH can be expected. If we get five inches of snow in Rochester and they don't plow- then people should lose their job as it's expected- if it happens in Mexico City- then I have pity. Similarly if we get hammered with a major earthquake, we are screwed and I'm fine with that- but if San Francisco or Tokyo doesn't know how to deal with it- I have major issues. So my point is- it's a foreseeable set of circumstances- how about using your spare time to shore everything up- we pay some of the highest utilities in the nation- I'd certainly hope a major chunk of that goes into shoring up and improving the infrastructure and not just into the fat cats bonus checks.

# 5. 3/12/17 2:44 PM by 104
"FAT CAT" is the operative term here! Draw and quarter them and tar and feather them! Every single one of them has whole house auto kick on generators!

# 6. 3/12/17 3:11 PM by Rick
There is actually a liability clause in tariff contracts regarding outages. In short, outages are expected. Storms, cars hitting poles, lightning strikes, etcetera. In studies, electrical outages are typically no longer than ½ hour per year (on average) which gives the power companies an ability to provide electricity 99.994% of the time. That’s considered to be as close to continuous as possible. Nobody can guarantee 100% coverage.

If a utility company has shown gross negligence regarding maintenance, repairs, and service, then they can be fined or sued. Maybe you can call one of those jingle lawyers and have them sue RG&E for you. Hey, here’s a thought – when you retire, grab one of those cushy jobs as a lineman. They’re just hanging around in June staring at their fat paychecks.

Blackouts or a natural disaster based long-term power outage are why utility companies have clauses that limit liability. You are, in fact, getting exactly what you pay for. Read the fine print. And if you think our utility bills are high, trying paying one through National Grid. Insulate better, use LED bulbs and be proactive. Hard to bitch about gasoline prices if you’re driving a Humvee. Well, houses need to be more efficient as well. This is a fine way to offset high prices.

If you want 100% power, stop whining about your contractor when they are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing.

Build a windmill, put up solar panels get a gasoline generator or one that runs on natural gas. Install a woodburning stove or pellet stove for supplemental heat. Use an on-demand water heater. Be a little more self-sufficient. If 99.994% isn’t good enough; fill in that gap on your own.

I must say that debating this with you has been fun. We must do this again sometime.

Editor's Note: Five days without power at Lexington and Lee affecting manufacturing is hardly 99.994% of the year with power. And tell the people in shelters or hotels that they have to pay out of their own pockets that "hey, you had power 99.994% of the year" and see how well that goes over. And notice I never said the job of a lineman was cushy (I remember the Glen Campbell song even if Deep had to look it up), nor am I faulting the workers one bit- I am faulting the management who are the ones making the real money. The workers go where they are told and do as they are told- if management doesn't take it seriously (as obviously they didn't), there is nothing a worker can do. Perhaps a large fine and a large rebate to affected households will make the company see that New York State is serious (as they are a public good which is why they are regulated as they are- but the ability to charge insane amounts of money and face no real competition on one part of business and until recently no competition on ANY meaningful part of their business SHOULD come with strings- ie- they have to deliver. But like the telephone company of old, why bother? Where you going to go? And the regulators don't make them pay dearly for this kind of mistake. A car hitting a pole is one thing- and cannot be anticipated. Wind can be. Don't let your poles go down in non-tornado/hurricane winds. Spend some of the money you've been taking from us over the years to bury the wires- whatever you need to do- but don't pad the executives pockets and then act surprised that anyone is outraged when you don't deliver on your promise to give us power). And why should I be self-sufficient- at 99.994 percent power- that means that out of 365 days in a year- at 24 hours a day and 60 minutes per hour- there are 525,600 minutes in a year- power is out 315 minutes a year (315.36). We'll call it 5 hours and 15 minutes if we can. So every four years- you lose a day of power....and for the people who have lost power for five days....that's TWENTY YEARS they have to own the house to be even at that percentage and that's IF THEY DON'T LOSE ONE MORE SECOND OF POWER over a twenty year period. Unlikely that scenario will play out....and thus the utility failed miserably yet there have generally been no repercussions. In your world, overpromising and underdelivering seems to be fine- in mine (especially in a heavily regulated industry), there have to be consequences. Which is why you can rest easy buying something from me on eBay (papergoy)- I hold myself to high standards and make things right. I'll stop at that point lest I make assumptions based on your willingness to accept shoddiness as matter of course.

# 7. 3/12/17 3:24 PM by 104
Bottom line: Cuomo SUX! Cuomo politics SUX! Schumer SUX! DRAIN ALL THE SWAMPS!

# 8. 3/12/17 5:07 PM by 104
Am 110% positive LiDestri got more than what was needed. Not so for the other poor slobs! Iberdola Sux!

Editor's Note: I agree with Rick that in a choice between a hospital and a residential area, the hospital should have power first. It would be interesting to see (which is what the paper should do-they're welcome for the idea) what areas had the power out the longest versus income- in other words say Pittsford and Bullshead both go out at the same time- do the resources go to the rich people first? Does the mayor's street get the power back on (or plowed for that matter) before mine? I'd like to see that analysis done by the paper. I suspect it won't be forthcoming.