Uber-regulation
by Zjabs

# 1. 3/15/17 6:27 AM by 104
Government is great at establishing "funds". Like the Social Security general fund which is constantly raided by politicians for pork barrel legislation. And the "fund" that NYS Thruway tolls were supposed to go into in order to maintain the system "in perpetuity" and that was supposed to eliminate tolls decades ago.

Editor's Note: There is always the possibility that the politicians will see a bucket of money and steal the funds to pay for something else, but I am CERTAIN that at this point, they've learned their lessons and won't do it. Right?

# 2. 3/15/17 6:50 AM by 104
Guess you are right about the politicians changing for the good. Was just looking out the window waiting for the geese to return from their winter vacations. But lo and behold, it was whole flock of flying pigs!

# 3. 3/15/17 7:46 AM by Rick
Cut and pasted from http://bit.ly/2mrB9o6

Uber requires all of their drivers to have car insurance, and provides supplemental insurance coverage, but only while the app is on.

Here’s how it works: When the Uber app is off, a driver is covered by their own personal car insurance. When the Uber app is turned on, a low level of liability insurance becomes active. When a trip is accepted, a higher level of coverage kicks in and remains active until the passenger exits the vehicle.

Editor's Note: I guess I was more thinking regarding New York State law (as you know there are always those things that say "not available in New York" due to our strict regulations). We always have extra hoops to jump through to "protect" people

# 4. 3/15/17 11:11 AM by Nick
Let's see, you hate added costs but don't mind surcharges.

Editor's Note: If the surcharge goes to make sure there is proper insurance in compliance with New York State law...I'd rather know that when that guy plows into me, he's properly insured. Similarly if I'm riding in the car, I'd rather know he's properly insured. This would clear all that up.

# 5. 3/15/17 1:10 PM by Mark - Greece
Ask cab drivers what the state's fee is for their hack licenses, especially around airports or in NYC. Hardly fair. But then again, this is the state that picks and chooses which businesses don't have to pay taxes while their competitors do. But Andy is not going to let Uber thrive unless he gets his share of vig. Whether above or under the table.

Editor's Note: I agree, but to deny us all Uber so they can keep their profits seems...unfair to everyone who DOESN'T drive a cab, no?

# 6. 3/15/17 11:46 PM by Sam Sr. - Rochester
While I do think Uber, Lyft, etc. are very competitive innovations I think Taxis are being held to a higher standard by state laws (e.g., they have to pay NYS, etc. more to operate).

Therefore I am against Uber until I'm convinced both are screwed equally by the state.

Editor's Note: Of course we could loosen taxi regulations...