There She Blows
by Rick Garvia

# 1. 3/13/17 3:42 AM by Zjabs
Re your PS, as you know, you and I disagree completely on that. I expect competence when I pay a lot of money for a service- especially one that is heavily regulated. Don't charge me a dollar for the privilege of getting billed (or whatever the actual amount is) and then not replace weak poles. Just my two cents, and you and I are destined to always disagree on this issue.

Editor's Note: Agree to disagree.

# 2. 3/13/17 6:25 AM by 104
Best of luck! Like in the Ice Storm, lots of the trees that fell down were in dire need of a good trimming in the first place. Now we have a very full agenda for the Spring. And Summer too!

Editor's Note: That's for sure. Speaking for myself, it's a good opportunity to reevaluate my situation. Several "good" trees that would fall on the house are also coming down.

# 3. 3/13/17 7:23 AM by Gates Mom
That awful! I'm glad everybody is OK. We had one big tree taken down when we put our pool in, and the cost was pretty high. I can't imagine what that would be.

Editor's Note: It's a mess. Without getting into details, the highest estimate was 60% more than the next closest. If anyone needs a referral, send me an email.

8220420
# 4. 3/13/17 7:55 AM by mk
I guess your windstorm is the perfect description of how suddenly everything can change. It even sounds a little like grandchildren. Maybe they will be next on your horizon. lol Grandchildren seem to be their own force of rearrangement. So sorry about the old trees.

Editor's Note: White pines are not a good landscape tree. It's a forest tree which grows all lopsided, breaks and then falls down. I was a little naive on this because they were so pretty in the yard. I still have two, outside of the fall zone to the house, which I'm keeping, but the rest are coming down (if they haven't already fallen down).

8220420
# 5. 3/13/17 10:28 AM by mk
You are wise to pull down those trees. Good planning makes for less worrisome wind storms. Glad everyone is alright.

Editor's Note: The pictures I posted don't do it justice. It really is horrifying, and my wife watched it happen. I drove around and saw too many trees uprooted with a good many of them on houses. No thanks.

Every tree around here that has fallen has gone from west to east, which puts our house smack in the fall zone for two big white pines.

Fire up the chainsaws, boys.

# 6. 3/13/17 10:49 AM by Gary - Rochester
I felt the same way about what Cuomo said. If RGE did something wrong than investigate it but don't come in in the middle of things and start pointing fingers at the response time. Those guys were on my street working in the dark. There were trucks all over the place. We made do with a wood stove and our power was back up on Saturday. I also have a generator.

Good luck with your trees. I live in Irondequoit, so I'm very familiar with the cost to take down huge trees.

Editor's Note: I thought the tone and implication were ill-timed. Once this mess is over, then he can investigate all he wants.

Our power grid is pretty stable, but I think a generator is a worthwhile investment. They come in handy for other things.

Short answer: No, I'm not happy about having to have these trees cleaned up and removed, but it's part of the fun of being a homeowner.

# 7. 3/13/17 11:57 AM by Tom Dey - Springwater
Hi Rick, Well - that's sobering! Just last Fall, I had a tree removed that was threatening the house. A contractor friend (who is VERY tree and building familiar!) climbed half way up the 70-footer, secured a rope, and stressed it with his dump truck AWAY from the house. He then severed it at the base, in the usual manner. Felled, cut, loaded, and hauled it away... Two loads. When the wind kicked up, I sure was happy I had removed the threat. We have 16 acres, half woods. Couple down that will need removal, but no damage. "Edge of woods" takes the brunt... sounds like that's what happened at your place? PS The Great Ice Storm of '91: We were right in the middle of that. Power out for a week, cooking on the wood stove. The 1000-ft of road thru the woods (my private road!) up to the observatory... was littered with felled trees like humongous Pickup Stix! Took me all spring to clear them out. I no longer have that kinda energy. Tom, survivor Tom

Editor's Note: It looks as if the wind came through in a band, no more than 60' wide. None of the dead red pine trees that I was going to take down fell or were damaged. A huge maple and white pine in the front are fine - barely lost any branches. I did leave a contractors wheelbarrow out back, leaning against a tree. That was crushed.

I've never had stumps ground here before, but this time I'm having them all ground. I don't want to see any reminders.

# 8. 3/13/17 12:50 PM by Nick - Irondequoit, NY
We were out driving that afternoon and like you said, it was bad. Everybody hates seeing homes or property destroyed but you're always grateful when nobody gets hurt or killed. Sorta puts stuff in perspective.

We moved into our current home in July 2002, in April 2003 a mini ice storm knocked down a tree onto our fence, plus a large branch took down the main power line running to the house which also ripped the weather poll from the house, taking siding, fascia, and gutters with it. We still had power but when RG&E saw a live line on the ground they shut us off so we had nothing for six days. This time around we were out for one day.

One thing we're glad we did later in 2003 was to have two huge trees that were inches from the house taken down. Hated spending the money but wonder what damage might have occurred last week if we had just let those trees go.

Editor's Note: I travel a lot of rural roads out here, and I notice a LOT of trees that overhang various airborne wires. There are also a lot of trees that have a donut hole in the canopy to allow wires to go through them. Truthfully, those trees should be removed.

It is money well-spent. OK, yeah, I'd rather have a nice vacation.

# 9. 3/13/17 1:13 PM by LurkerG
We were very lucky in my house in Brockport. No power for only 24 hours, no internet/cable for 3 days. I contacted Time Warner, and they credited me for the 3 days. I don't think they automatically do that, but if you ask, they will.

We stayed with my daughter for warmth, and used her Internet and the public library for the same.

Related maybe to your discussion with Zjabs, I called Time Warner for the credit because you sort of automatically get a credit from your electric company because you can't use power that isn't there, but cable/Internet is different.

Editor's Note: I just hung up with Spectrum. I got a $27.06 credit, but you have to call for it. It won't be applied automatically. I knew about the "call or lose it" clause from our Ice Storm outage.

For Spectrum customers in Rochester - 756-5000. Option "billing."

# 10. 3/13/17 1:19 PM by BF
I've just got heat now for the first time in three days but it is nothing compared to what you endured. I had power and space heaters so I had no problem, really.

I remember one year when my girls were small my then-husband earned a lot of money going around town with a buddy and a chainsaw.

Editor's Note: We have a gas fireplace and gas stove. Those two things and a battery radio and I'm good to go.

During the ice storm, I put my generator on my truck and drove around pumping out basements for my neighbors. That was sort of fun in a weird way.

# 11. 3/13/17 4:37 PM by BF
That would be pure schadenfreude.

Editor's Note: OK, now you're just making up words.

# 12. 3/13/17 4:54 PM by Tom Dey - Springwater
That "60-foot band" that you mentioned... YES, I believe that. Not unlike an especially big solitary wave on the ocean? When It gets windy, I stare across the 1st little field (AKA my back yard) at the woods surrounding it. I can actually See the puffs and bands moving along, and the direction, speed and "strength" of the wind embedded. And, like your wheelbarrow... NOT a prudent time to be out under the trees! Well, like many other situations... long as you're uninjured... all the rest is just STUFF! Tom, perspective from afar Tom

Editor's Note: I used to see this all the time - the first roof shingles to go are in valleys. Wind accelerates. Same principle as a boat sail.

Another funny, albeit not when it happens, event is when overhead garage doors implode when somebody opens the smaller door in the garage. People, do not open small doors when an overhead door is closed during extremely high winds. Especially in a newer, tighter house.

# 13. 3/14/17 10:54 AM by lj - mm
thumbsup.gif Wind bursts are just horizontal wind shears from angry air masses...

I have experienced some severe wind shears in an airplane while flying as a navigator...(1969-1971)

There is a very good reason WHY,

those storm chasers and tornado watchers don't use Cessnas or ultra-lights...

Mother Nature can be a beast some times...

Editor's Note: Of all the weather scenarios, wind is the one that scares me.