'Christians' Judging, and Vengeance', repost from 2007 with postscript

# 1. 2/9/07 6:29 PM by lon bonsberry
thumbsup.gif .

# 2. 2/9/07 6:34 PM by albert-for Peanut
Sorry Peanut your comment was deleted in error.

# 3. 2/9/07 9:18 PM by Jay - OR
As you know I am a Christian (if not "traditional"). It is not my intent to seem cute with the following comments:

First, those who either have not learned to, or have chosen not to, "judge" intents (when expressed and clear), and actions, are like a house without walls. This simile is designed to create an idea of a structure with nothing to support a roof, and an idea of moral structure that has no substance, with nothing to contain either good or bad--except perhaps essentially no more than formless, unsupported, changing, inconsistent, and undependable opinion, if even that.

Second, such individuals are consistently inconsistent by failing to understand, but strongly judging, those who believe in "judge the action, but not the person."

# 4. 2/9/07 9:44 PM by Peanut
thumbsup.gif Amen.

# 5. 2/9/07 10:14 PM by claujuh

# 6. 2/10/07 7:25 PM by peppermint patty
a)What's up with the one-dot comments?

b)This is just my opinion, but I think that Christians can judge whether a certain situation or circumstance follows the Bible or not,(we can judge that murder is wrong because the Bible says it is) but Christians cannot judge a person's heart or motives.

Those are judged only by God.

Does this make sense?

Example: the "what no one else is saying" column was a mean-spirited, and insulting piece.

But I'm hoping that the person who wrote it isn't, and just did a really lousy job of communicating.Or didn't listen when taught by mom and dad the finer points of tact when a death occurs.

Can I judge the writer's intent? No. I did, however, ask the writer what the purpose his column served.

Out of the mouth the heart speaks.

You can judge the mouth, but not necessarily the heart.

# 7. 2/10/07 8:05 PM by pep
Here...this is from the study notes in my Bible:

"Judge not" (From Matt 7) refers to condemnatory judgement. This is not to say that a Christian should never exercise judgement of any kind under any circumstances. We are not to render a judgement based upon predjudiced information. We are not to judge the inner motives of another. Nor are we to use ourselves as the standard of judgement.

Whoops! I'm guilty as charged.

We all are.

It says elsewhere that "we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, by measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise" 1Cor 10:12.

A whole lot of religions do this very thing. A whole lot of websites, too. :)

So by saying that I'm more or less judgemental than someone else is fruitless, because in the eyes of God, we are all messed up, myself included.

If one were to hurl themselves across the grand canyon and come up a foot short, would they not be in the same predicament as the one who came up a mile short?

# 8. 2/10/07 8:14 PM by pep again.
The harsh judgements leveled against Anna Nicole Smith are in my opinion a very good example of the hypocracy in this regard.

AMEN, and AMEN. For the love of Pete, you would think she was a terorist or something!

# 9. 2/11/07 7:21 PM by claujuh
for Peppermint Patty:

the " . " comments mean "nothing more to add"...or "that about sums it up for me!" actually i think the author of the column in question may have been the originator of the concept? or was it jonathan? lon? ANYBODY???? ...... :>)

8206668
# 10. 2/12/07 10:45 AM by Michael - Las Vegas
I think the "." idea had its genesis with Lee.

# 11. 2/12/07 1:36 PM by Casey
I am not Christian so I will continue to judge and not give a damn otherwise. So there! = )

# 12. 2/13/07 1:22 PM by Eileen
I thought the one dot "." came from Brian -

# 13. 8/18/07 2:41 PM by Jay - OR
Some Christians still buggin' ya, albert? Guess what; they do me too.

But, also guess what; so do some atheists.

(I hope you're back, but--if you don't mind my saying so--with something original. You've proven you can do it.)

Editor's Note: I suppose if you look hard enough you will find very little of my thought to be truly original.

You will find it just as hard to pin me down as a 100% Liberal or part of a "Greek Chorus"

I think the word "eclectic might be apropriate.

# 14. 8/18/07 7:44 PM by Roger Allan
Let me see...

What sermon did I hear where she was mentioned...

NONE!

What Sunday School lesson was she discussed in...

NONE!

I guess I can't figure out where you are coming from.

Anna Nicole Who?

Editor's Note: I AM sure you know "who" as her (Anna Nicole Smith's) death was well covered in the news earlier this year.

I would also bet that she factored into at least a few sermons at the time.

AS far as where I AM coming from, as a public figure albiet a tragic one, her life contains a good lesson concerning wealth and happiness.

As far as the more immediate topic of the woman whose child recently died in an overheated car in Wyoming County NY there are some who are upset that she is not being prosecuted as if she is an evil person who deliberately left her child to die in the car.

The gift of Christianity to me is the lessons contained within it are intended to help us be better persons.

Part of being such would be to seek to punish less as in my opinion punishment serves the ego by giving a satisfaction of vengeance towards the wrongdoer.

Leave the retribution to "The Lord"

The philosophy of some seems to ignore or minimize psychological factors which might explain the "why" of an unfortunate situation.

At one time the justice system started to emphasize reform. Yet there still remains a contingent who emphasize punishment as a cure or preventative for crime.

Truly evil persons dont expect to be caught or dont think about punishment when committing crime.